Thursday, July 03, 2008

My breakup with Jack

I broke up with Jack in January of 2007. My dear beloved Jack was so fun...I loved his friends and loved his personality. No. He was not a boyfriend. He was not my lover. He was my profession...and kinda my obsession. I am proud to say that I was part of the first JACK FM radio station in the USA. Soon after our launch of our JACK FM in 2004....over 500 JACK FM stations and other imitations popped up all over the USA. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. We were all flattered. It was a time of creative meetings. Amazing ideas. Love for RADIO. True radio. For 2 years....life was blissful. Then things changed. A new sheriff was in town....this sheriff thought he knew radio. Ahem. I think not. All of our funny and irreverent promos were taken off the air. The deejays were taken off the air...and we were left with a jukebox radio station. All the the fun was gone. Much to my chagrin.....it was time to break up with Jack. I didn't recognize the Jack I fell in love with anymore. I was heart broken. When I left, I felt like I was leaving my helpless small child in the parking lot....all alone. Would anyone love Jack as I did?

Now... years later, I find myself listening to JACK FM to see if anyone loves this station as I did. As I listen I often get jealous. Someone does love Jack again. I hear those old promos that we all worked so hard to create. Or didn't work at all to create....because the attitude and fun was so natural at the time.....they practically wrote themselves. When I hear the old promos we wrote, I get a metallic taste in my mouth and furrow my brow. I am jealous. I miss the fun. I miss that time. Jack was at the top of his game. We will never get back together again. And he will never get back to the place we were all those years ago. But it was fun to be a part of the ride up. Thanks for the memories Jack. I will miss you.

No comments: