Thursday, November 17, 2005

The worst video game in the world

My drive to and from work each day is like my own personal video game. Everyday without exception. If you were a kid with an Atari video game system growing up... it's much like the game "Frogger"....and I am the wee frog just trying to get to the other side without getting squished. Today's drive into work was particularly nutty. I left the back gate of my building into the alley to have to wait for this lazy garbage truck guy who was on his cell phone yelling at someone (an obvious personal call) and his big green truck was blocking my way out. I tried to be patient, but after 5 minutes I started honking and he called me a bitch. My first "bitch" of the day. Only to pull onto the main street to find that some tree trimming company has one of the 2 lanes blocked off...and I am stuck behind this huge van or bus full of kids. I am sitting there and the kid in the back of the short-bus gets my attention. He is making faces at me and lifting his shirt and rubbing his belly like a stripper. Man, 12 year old boys are annoying. I try everything in my power to not give him the attention he is craving.... so I play with my radio. I finally get a chance to pull out and the guy who was waiting for me to pull out decided that I was taking too long (as I simply just checked my rear view mirror - for SAFETY reasons) he honks and me...yes... you guessed it... he called me a bitch. Bitch #2. It's not even 9 am. On with my commute. I enjoy about 7 minutes of bliss, no name calling and green lights. I get onto 18th and out from between two parked cars in the middle of the road a heavy set blind man complete with a white walking stick walks out into the middle of traffic in front of me. I have to slam my breaks, squeal my tires to avoid killing him. Yup. He called me a bitch too. Bitch #3. I am on a roll. Although I did laugh to myself because he's blind.... how does he KNOW I am a woman? Maybe he said "son of a bitch". I dunno. But I could definitely read the word "bitch" on his lips. So am on my way again...and I am thinking.... in my 11 minute drive to work, I have been called a bitch 3 times. It's a new record. I continue on my way avoiding the bicycle couriers weaving in and out of traffic. The out-of-town driver from Florida who is squinting, leaning forward trying to read the streets signs.... all the while swerving. AND my personal favorite...the driver who pulls into the other lane to make a turn to the opposite direction. Ek! It snowed today so the roads are wet and will freeze soon. Sweet. Black ice. Thank God for car insurance.

No comments: