Thursday, January 04, 2007

Once in a lifetime

This morning I had a meeting at 8 am. Yuck. I spent the night out at Todd's....so to make it on time I had to get up at 6 am. I rolled out of bed and into my car and started my 45 minute trek home to get ready for work. At about 6:15 am I see this huge ball of reddish fire with a tail of white sparkly light...that looked like what I would guess that stardust looks like. I pull the car over, flip on my hazards and turn off my lights to see it better. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Then the ball broke into about 4 or 5 smaller red balls of fire with a white sparkly stardust tail....then it burned out. NUTS! It was awesome. I was driving west...and the thing (that was later determined as a SL-4 rocket body that re-entered the atmosphere over Colorado and Wyoming) was traveling north to south in a horizontal line. At first a million things ran thru my head.... "Dang, is that a plane crashing?" "What in the HELL is that?" "Holy shit." I flipped the radio on...and within a few minutes every station in town was taking phone calls on the "meteorite." NUTS! I was pissed off that I had an 8 am meeting...but thankful that I did because I witnessed a once in a lifetime experience.

No comments: