Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fair

My dear friend Emily lost her father to breast cancer on Friday. My heart burst in a million pieces when I heard. My heart broke for Em. Her mom (they were married for 40 years). Em's husband. Her 2 kids. Her brothers and sisters A-M-E-N. Her nieces and nephews. And oddly, my heart broke for me. That feeling shocked me to the core. I saw my dad a few hours after I learned of Roger's passing...and I teared up a few times when I was talking to him. I realized that I was mourning the fact that I will someday lose my dad too....and it broke my heart. It's not fair. Our parents and grandparents are supposed to stay the same age as the day we met them. They shouldn't age or get sick or die. It's not fair.
I will always remember Em's wedding day and the way her dad looked at her as Em gracefully and elegantly entertained the guests....smiling from ear to ear. He watched her with this proud glow on his face. I took a mental snapshot of that loving look. I won't forget it.

No comments: