Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ahhhh.... family

Today I grabbed a couple sandwiches and headed up to visit with my Grandma on my lunch hour. I love that lady...she's a feisty one for sure. She looks like a sweet old lady...but she can be tough as nails. When I got there she showed me 3 beautiful pieces of antique china that she wanted to hand down to me. One piece is a serving dish that is hand painted and belonged to my uncle's mom. The other 2 pieces are teacup sets that my Great Grandma Polly (her inlaws/my Grandpa's parents) owned. One of the sets was Great Grandma Polly's prized possession. It's bone China from her homeland, England. My Grandma said it is probably worth quite a bit of money. Not that I would ever sell it, it's priceless to me. At least if I ever went to the Antique Roadshow, I would have something to get appraised. Ha! I was honored. She said that my Great Grandparents really adored my dad. That my dad was was such a good looking kid, named after my Great Grandfather and was the first boy of all of their Grandchildren. Grandma was sure that Polly would be thrilled that my dad's oldest daughter got her china. After we ooohhh'ed and ahhh'ed over the china we went into the kitchen to eat lunch. I noticed that my Grandma started getting antsy. She's not a lady who is afraid of a conversation or confrontation so her uneasiness was starting to concern me. Then she said, "Em, I told your Aunt Diana (my dad's older sister) that I was going to hand down Polly's china to you, and she wanted me to tell you that just because you got those pieces of china doesn't entitle you to my china. (She took a deep breath) She wanted to make sure that you knew that (voice quivering) she is still going to get your Grandpa and I's wedding china. She wanted to make sure you heard it from me, from my mouth. Em, I promised that china to Diana as a child....and..." I stopped her and said, "Grandma, I would never fight Diana for your china or anything else. Never. I know I have said this before, but I care more for things like family pictures, wedding pictures, quilts, things that may not have much dollar value, but are priceless to me. I would never fight her." She told me that she already knew that, but Diana insisted that she tell me herself in those words. I could see the hurt in my Grandma's eyes. I am so disappointed that my Aunt that she thought I would feel entitled to the china, that I was that kind of person. However disappointed I am in those things....I am downright angry that she hurt Grandma's feelings and made her have to tell me something that she obviously didn't want to. As I left, I hugged my Grandma and told her that I want her around for as long as possible - that she is my prized possession.

No comments: