Tuesday, February 28, 2006

That happened in a Seinfeld episode

I have been reluctant to give updates on my dating life because I worry that somehow the information would get in the wrong hands... it is on the internet for Pete's sake. Anyway. Since I have been helping out as a coach at my dad's Sunday softball clinics...I ran into an old friend from High School, Vince. I have always had a crush on him...he's very cool....and very handsome. A while back we went to lunch to catch up. It was a good time....and I remembered why I had a crush on him in High School. Then we coached together every Sunday in February. We made plans to go grab a beer after the last of the Sunday clinics this past Sunday. During the middle of the clinic Vince came up to me and said "I forgot that my niece's 5th birthday party is today." I said, "Oh that's fine, we will reschedule." And he said, "No, I want you to go, I told my family you were coming." SIDENOTE: I know his family. His brother Tom and I were very close in High School. And his parents were involved with the school...so I know them too. In fact, I went to Vince's brother's wedding. OK. Anyway. I say, "Really? That is gonna be ok that I go?" And he assured me it was ok. So we chat after clinic and agree to meet there. I show up and find them all sitting in the restaurant. It was great to see everyone. It was a great time. At one point his mom says, "Julie, the kids and I are going to go play video games with the kids, Em do you wanna come?" I say yes and us chicks go play with the kids. His sister-in-law starts quizzing me on what is going on between Vince and I. All I could really say is that we are hanging out...not dating. But I do admit to her that I would be interested in dating him. So.... then after we were all done with all of the festivities, we were all heading home. Vince's mom says, "Em, we hope to see you again soon." And I tell them the feelings are mutual. They made me feel so welcome...and it was oddly comfortable. So then we all walk out to the parking lot. Vince waves goodbye and says "I'll talk to ya." I wave and say, "Great, thanks for everything." So now I am just praying I hear from him again. He's a good egg...and I really would like to hang out more. YIKES.
So yesterday I am telling Paul the above story....and he says, "you know, there was a Seinfeld episode where this same thing happened to Elaine. She met this guy, they go to lunch. They make a bet about something and end up going out again. But this time.... she meets his parents. Everyone keeps asking Elaine what is going on between them...and she just keeps saying, we are not dating." I cracked up.... of COURSE there is a Seinfeld episode that is close to my own life.... of course there is.

No comments: