Sunday, February 19, 2006

The friends and family discount

I have heard so many examples recently of why using friends and family for business reasons is a huge mistake. A friend of mine has on 4 different occasions had her husband's family bail on plans to refinish their wood floors....and they always bail at the last minute. And due to the highly toxic chemicals...they have to move out for the weekend...and even find a place for the animals and the plants. I was house/dog sitting this weekend...and they were gonna stay at least one night at my place....and they bailed on them again to do the floors...at 7 pm....and not for a good reason. They "may" be getting a better deal on price...but customer service sucks. And how do you really yell at your husband's family?
I had my own experience recently where I used a friend to help me out on a deal...and the customer service sucks...and I ended up getting royally screwed on the price and things I was promised didn't happen...and I lost money. Sweet. But because it's a friend...I was in a bad situation to really freak out. I guess I thought this person would look out for my best interest... eh no. Lesson learned. I won't make that mistake again. The friends and family discount is not worth the price of admission.

No comments: