Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Attention to detail

The team of 20 that I manage are all part-time so I really try to help them all find full-time work in radio. I let them know about job openings internally and at other radio companies and offer to help them with resumes, cover letters and other creative things that will help them rise above the pack. One of my staffers just applied for a full-time promotions gig at a news station. I suggested she write a series of fun and interesting press releases on the station, her getting the job, upcoming events etc. She took a rough draft crack at them. They were decent. I worked with her and gave her some suggestions. I told her to check the spelling of everything...check and double check. Promotions is all about ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Honestly, forget something as small as tape for banners for an event and you are screwed. So anyway.... I see her this morning and ask how the interview went...ok...get ready for this...she says..."Good. I gave her the press releases. But found out after I gave them to her that I MIS-SPELLED HER NAME in them...opps! Maybe she won't notice." I realize that I am starring at her with a look of utter and complete shock with my mouth hung wide open...and I said, "Uh...hell yes she will notice...oh well." And I walked away.

No comments: