Wednesday, March 19, 2008

emilyintheBURBS

I worked downtown for 8 years. I lived in/near downtown for 12 of those years. I have always considered myself a city girl. I have used the email address emilyintheCITY for so many years....I don't even remember how many.

I had to laugh yesterday. I had to give a speech to a group of travel agents in the same building downtown that I worked in for many years....the building I worked at the oldies station in. It had been a long time since I had been downtown. I parked at a meter and took the escalator up to the building. I remembered that when I worked there...I always laughed at the fact that people sleep in the chairs in the lobby of this building. I have never seen people sleep in chairs anywhere except at this building (ok...maybe at the airport...but c'mon). I giggled when I walked in and saw 3 people sleeping in the chairs of the lobby at 3 pm in the afternoon. I went upstairs...gave my speech...then headed back to my car. I have 100% become emilyintheBURBS....losing the CITY part of my name. I used to walk the streets of downtown every day and not even notice the people around me. Oh boy. I noticed the people yesterday. I saw drug deals. I saw people with crazy hair. I noticed the homeless. I noticed the mall rats. I noticed so much that I was so immune to because I saw it everyday in the past. I think it was good for me to actually LOOK at the world around me. I am so not a city girl anymore. I like where I live. I love where I am in my life.

No comments: