Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Trip

Ava and I are flying to Salt Lake to see my bro and Rebecca this weekend.  Can't wait to see them.  Can't wait to spend quality time.  Can't wait to see their new gorgeous house.  OK.  I am traditionally not a good flyer.  Here's the story.  I had a panic attack on a flight once.  It only happened once, but once was enough to know that I must be medicated to fly.  The story is actually funny....now.  I had gone to Vegas with Katie and Christine for Christine's Bachelorette Party.  We drank way too much and slept way too little.  Our return flight was delayed so we sat at the airport for HOURS...realllly hung over and reallly tired.  We got on the plane finally and I started having a panic attack.  I couldn't breathe.  My throat closed.  I couldn't move.  I felt like I had a big fat sweaty dude sitting on my chest.  I wanted to jump out of the plane.  It was the scariest feeling ever.  EVER. My face was beet red the whole flight and I was shaking.  I finally had to lean forward and put my hands over my ears and sing the "meow, meow, meow" song to myself to get through it.  It was embarrassing.  It was awful.  As we left the airport Katie said, "Emily.  I love you.  But I won't fly with you to Mexico (for Christine's wedding) if you act like that.  Figure it out girl."  So.  I went to my doctor and got some nice anti-anxiety meds for the trip to Mexico.  Let-me-tell-you.....I was the SWEETEST person on that plane after taking my meds.  Funny.  Now.  OK.  I have flown many more times and each time I have medicated myself, but on headphones and zoned out with a cocktail or 4.  Emily is good flyer all doped up.  NOW...this weekend, I will be flying alone with a 9 month old.  No zoning out here.  I will be medicated....believe-you-me....but I have to stay engaged to care for Ava.  I am nervous.  But I will be ok.  Todd on the other hand is more nervous than me about my ability to fly with Ava alone.  Maybe he will need to be medicated too. 

No comments: