Wednesday, February 01, 2006

People have told me I have a voice for radio

In the category of "shit rolls downhill" I got to work our booth at a job fair today all by myself. We are hiring for 3 very different jobs. One - Multi-Media Director. Two - Sales. Three - Part Time Promotions. I am exhausted. Talking non-stop for 3 hours is tough. Being sweet and pleasant to dumb people for 3 straight hours. Exhausting. My throat hurts. Tired.
My favorite people are the ones who walk up and tell me that they want a job as a dee jay. I smile sweetly and explain that we are not hiring dee jays right now... but let me tell you about the 3 career opportunities that we do have. They don't hear me...and they continue saying that people have always told them that they have a voice for radio. That they KNOW music. That everyone thinks they are very funny and should be doing Morning radio. They try to give me a little taste of what "their" radio show would be like. I continue to smile and try to be pleasant. I explain again that we are not hiring dee jays right now. Then they get more insistent and and impatient with me. Then I have to tell them that their best bet to become a dee jay is to move to a smaller market and get some experience...then come back to a market this big and apply for dee jay gigs. Then they tell me again how they have a voice for radio...isn't that ENOUGH? I sooooo wanted to say about 10 times today...."yes, you do have a voice for radio...AND you have a FACE for radio too." I didn't. It would have been fun. Ha.

No comments: