Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Can You Dig It?




So this past weekend Todd and I were working in the yard. It was 70 degrees in the middle of March...gorgeous. I am digging up the rock garden and getting it ready for us to plant later. I freaking dug up 3 freaking Tiger Salamanders. Yes I did! I am a native. I have never seen or heard of these things living in the wild in Colorado. So I pick up the phone and call our local reptile store and lo and behold Tiger Salamanders are native to Colorado. These little buggers were about 4 inches long, black bodies with greenish/yellow spots on them. They apparently grow to be nearly a foot long. They mostly come out at night and when it rains. Seriously? Can you believe it? The guy at the reptile store told me that if we brought them to him he would give us a couple bucks each - he would sell them as pets. He also told us how to build a new nest for them....so we did.

No comments: