Thursday, March 24, 2011

MOD

I met some amazing people during my time at March of Dimes. I think the woman that affected me the most was Kim.  Kim gave birth to twins prematurely and lost both girls after days and weeks of struggle and fighting for their lives.  Their names where Addison and Makenze.  I remember the first time she came to a volunteer meeting at MOD after losing the girls.  She sat at the table and cried the entire time.....almost like it was the first time she had let loose.  She bawled in fact.  Right there in the meeting.  There were many hugs offered up....and she refused... she just wanted to be left alone and listen....and deal with her loss.  She wanted to help others to help heal her own heart.  She needed to cry.  She wanted to help raise money for research so another mother would never have to endure the loss she had lived.  No one cries alone in my presence...so I had to conduct the meeting with tears streaming down my cheeks the entire time.  Sigh. 

Kim and I got close quick.  She is my age and very cool...very hip...I love her.  I remember seeing her stand at our In Memoriam Of Wall at our big annual event...and I watched her as she quietly wrote the names of her daughters on pieces of paper and placed them gingerly on the wall.  She bawled.  I bawled from afar.  I waited for her to finish and hugged her as long as she would let me....I would have hugged forever.  Kim and her sweet hubs now have 2 daughters....gorgeous girls.  People who have never had a hard time getting or staying pregnant....or have never experienced the loss of a pregnancy...or worse yet...the death of a baby....really can't understand.  They try...but they can't. 

No comments: