Wednesday, September 07, 2011

DSM

I leave tomorrow for a weekend trip to Des Moines, Iowa.  A trip alone.  No husband.  No kid.  Just me and my college softball buddies.  I am both anxious and excited.

Excited-
I am excited about two nights of uninterrupted sleep.  Ha.  I am excited to see my college softball girls....every time I see my girls... I laugh so much my sides hurt and I'm sore from laughing for days.  Good times.

Anxious-
One thing I am anxious about is the fact that my ol teammates love to tell stories or ask me to tell stories about the mean & nasty things my college coach did to me.  I can handle some of the more amusing stories...like when she kicked me out of practice because she couldn't hit a ground ball past me....and boy she tried....and tried...threw her bat at me...and kicked me out....I rock....just call me "the wall"....ha.  Anyway.  But I get tired of people thinking some of the things she did to me were funny...or that I want to relive them over and over....20 years later.  The things she did to me were down right abusive....physically and emotionally.  My teammates call me "Bad Dog"...our team mascot is a Bulldog.  Clever. Anyway.  I remember the first time Todd came to my reunion and he was listening to story after story of things my coach would do to me.  He pulled me aside and asked if the stories were true.  Sadly.  Yes.  He was astonished and said I should have pressed charges against her and/or beat the shit out of her.  Maybe I should have...maybe not.  I do know one thing for sure that bitch-on-wheels made me tough as nails....and it served me well in my career and my life.  And for that I thank her.  I also thank her for the excellent education I received with my scholarship.  And I truly thank her to recruiting me to play softball at Drake because I met the best friends....lifelong friends.  Thankful.

No comments: