Thursday, June 29, 2006

Heart

I have 2 1/2 weeks left in coaching softball for this season. I am relieved...and actually a wee bit sad too. I will miss those girls. I have gotten really attached to several of the girls....they have real heart. At the beginning of the season, I kinda figured my favorite girls on the team would be the super stars. The ones who really shine. I do adore those girls...but the one that won my heart is Hannah. She is a very petite blonde girl whose twin sister (not identical) is also on the team. Hannah is not the fastest, most coordinated, skilled player on the team...but she wins the award for heart.
My dad split the girls up into small groups so that the girls will get more one-on-one time...and I fought to get Hannah in my group. I coach the left side of the field...so I have the 3rd basemen, Short Stop, Catcher, Short-Fielder and 3rd Fielder (there are more positions in little girls softball). Anyway. My dad wanted to put Hannah in the outfield...and I wanted her in the action. Not many balls go to the Outfield. I put her at 3rd base. She works so hard...she deserved a position with some action.
A few weeks ago during hitting practice, she looked up at me with sad eyes and said, "Coach Emily, I want to be strong enough to hit a home run." I explained to her that I was always the smallest girl on my softball team...which doesn't mean weak and I rarely hit home runs. My job on the team was to get on base so that the other girls who do hit home runs could score me. She thought about that for a minute and nodded yes...and started hitting again.
Cut to last weekend....the Jeffco County Tournament. We were the only 1st year team in the tournament. Our first game was against the other Alameda/Green Mountain team in our age group. They played together last year. It was a hard fought game...but they beat us. The girls really played well...but the better team won. It was a double elimination tournament...so we at least had one more game. The 2 best teams in the tournament had to play each other for the 1st game...just a bad draw for both teams. We have played one of those teams twice....The Diamond Divas... our only two losses before the tournament (remember the freaky coach...yea them). Anyway...the other team... The Power Girls... are a "loaded" team. Their organization puts all of the best players on one team...which is not fair. Oh well. This team has played together for 3 years...and hadn't lost a game. They not only hadn't ever lost....they would KICK the ASS of every team they played. Shocking to all of us...the Diamond Divas beat The Power Girls...and handed them their first loss in 3 years. (Oh and for the record.... my team is called The Eagles...not some stupid name like Divas or Power Girls...anyway). We had to play The Power Girls. They have this guy coach who is really loud. Not just kinda loud...really loud. And he shouts the whole game. I kept catching our girls starring at him with their mouths open. He's a freak too. Sheesh...let's not forget...these girls are 7 & 8. Anyway...the game started...and right away their coaches were bitching about every call. Scrutinizing every move our girls made with the umpire. My dad was so calm....and handled every situation. I beamed with pride that we were showing so much class. Our girls played SO hard. I was so proud of them. At the top of the last inning...we were only down by 2 runs. AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING! It was our last at-bat...so we needed to score at least 2 runs to stay in the game. We loaded the bases...and little Hannah strode up to the plate. She looked fierce and serious. I called her name...got her attention...and told her to smile. She grinned from ear to ear...and the first pitch she CRUSHED the ball to the outfield....Hannah hit a Grand Slam. We were now winning by 2 runs. Hannah was sooo excited. She was (well and the entire team and everyone in the stands) were jumping up and down. Hannah looked like a little fish jumping out of the water....wiggling and wiggling. Then she walks out of the dugout and shouts down to me, "Coach Emily, I DID IT...I hit a home run!" I said back to her, "Well, even better Hannah, you hit a Grand Slam!" She smiled from ear to ear. I had to turn away and act like I had something in my eye...to hide the tears streaming down my face...because...there's no crying in softball. Ha. The coach from The Power Girls kicked a water cooler. We ended up losing. The Power Girls got up and scored 3 runs to beat us. In my book...we won.

No comments: