Saturday, June 10, 2006

'Tis the season

I had another shower to attend today....this time a baby shower for Kristen. 'Tis the season for showers.
She and her husband live in Chicago now, so except for a few pictures she emailed me...I hadn't seen her pregnant. She is due in mid-August and looks great. She's walking on sunshine. They're having a boy.
I met Kristen when she was 20 years old. I hired her as an intern at my first radio gig. I have hired her for about 4 times for other jobs too. Man, it was wonderful to see her. We have always been friends, even though I was her boss for quite a while.
The shower was thrown by one of her college friends and was very well organized. I love that. The hostess is artsy and crafty...so there were many gorgeous hand-made decorations. Very cute. We played 3 games (I really don't like shower games). The first game I had a distinct disadvantage at playing. It was the one where you have to identify different flavors of baby food. You would smell it...and if you were crazy...taste it. I did NOT do well at this game. And for the record, did not taste the baby food. I was the only gal there who wasn't married. And, except for the girl who got married a month ago...the only one without kids. Well except Kristen...hers is on the way...anyway. These chicks were not only idenfiying the baby food as what fruit or whatever...they were writing down the exact commercial name. "Pear Banana Delight" "Turkey Dinner with Peas" "Strawberry Dessert" Wha? I lost that game. Ha. Several of the girls got every one right. Sheesh. The 2nd game was match the name with it's description. For example, my name means "Industrious". I won that game. I got all of them right. The 3rd game was kinda sick. They passed around baby diapers with a different melted chocolate bar in it. Ewh. I can only imagine what her neighbors thought watching each gal grab the diaper and put it up to their face and smell what was inside. I won that game too...got all of them right (again). I told the hostess to give my prize to another girl...it's only fair. Ha. Ironically, I don't like chocolate...but apparently can "name that chocolate bar".
After about 4 hours of "ooohhh how cute" I excused myself to go home and take a nap.

No comments: