Sunday, June 25, 2006

The wedding

My sister's wedding was Friday night. I am exhausted. It's been a long several weeks...and even longer past 4 days... an exhausting...yet glorious... past 4 days.
WEDNESDAY: I have changed my work schedule and I now get to work between 7:30 am - 8 am....then often work an average of a 12 hour day. I had Thursday and Friday off this week...so my days were averaging at 14 1/2 hours. Blech. This won't go on for ever...it's just one of those times in my career. Anyway. On Wednesday evening...I was supposed to go out to dinner with my sister as our version of her bachlerotte party. Nat didn't want a drunk-fest and plastic penises...and I was super relieved. Whew. I had left her a message earlier in the day...and didn't hear from her until nearly 8 pm. I was still at work...so I was secretly happy that she didn't have time to go to dinner that night. Anyway...she told me the events of her day...and the night before. Danny (her husband) had walked outside of their house with their pet parrot. (No, I have no f-ing idea why she has a parrot...and one that is so rare that it is worth like $2,000...whatever) Anyway. Danny walked outside with their parrot and the bastard flew away. Natalie and Danny were up the entire night searching and calling for this parrot. They found the bird in some tree...called the fire department. They brought out a lift basket...and they lifted Natalie up into the tree to retrieve the bird. Damn....such a perfect Natalie story. (Hell....what am I talking about...something like that would happen to ME too...haha!) So the lost bird pushed their schedule back. They showed up at the Court House that afternoon to get their marriage license....at 4:25 pm...knowing it closed at 4:30. When they had to run out to their car to get CASH to pay for the license....the lady locked the door behind them....fear not...they got the license the next day.
THURSDAY: Natalie and I had appointments for full spa manicures and pedicures at Danny's God-Mother's salon. Sweet. Danny's mom works there...so his mom was doing my services and his God-mom was doing Natalie's. It was such a great time. I brought champagne. I got to chat with Danny's mom for hours. She is an amazing woman. She has been married 4 times...and her stories where both sad and funny. She was very open about her life...we had an instant connection. She told me some amazing things about Danny....which made me start to love my soon-to- be brother in law. She said that Danny swears that he will only marry once...after watching her go thru so many problems. She went on and on about how much Danny loves Natalie. Made my heart swell with happiness. After the spa...I rushed home to get ready for the rehearsal and then the dinner.
The rehearsal was interesting. I expected Natalie and the Pastor to take over and tell everyone what they wanted. They didn't do that. We were all just standing around. Finally I asked the Pastor to please start the rehearsal...and he acted like he had NO idea what he was doing. I asked Natalie if I could take over...she said yes. I walked everyone through everything step by step. The cutest part was explaining to my dad how he walks Natalie down the aisle. Natalie had never asked Dad or told him that he would be giving her away....and he was SOOO happy that he got to do so. Anyway. I showed him that they walk down the aisle...and stop about 5 feet in front of the alter. Then the Pastor would say, "who presents this woman in Holy matrimony?" And then my Dad would say, "Her mother and I do." Then I explained that he would kiss Natalie, shake Danny's hand, then hand Natalie's hand to Danny, and then sit down. My dad was so nervous....we rehearsed that part 5 times. No kidding. Ha! Cute.
FRIDAY - WEDDING DAY: Natalie had made our hair appointments pretty early in the morning for a 5 pm wedding. Mine was at 10:30 am...hers at 11:30 am....at Danny's God-mom's salon. Danny's mom was paying for all of our services (nails and hair) as part of her wedding gift to Natalie and Danny...so I agreed to do an up-do. Plus I would get to be there with Natalie as she got her hair done for her wedding. So....I get to the salon to find out that the gal who was supposed to do my hair was at the hospital with her sick mom. This other guy said he would be doing my hair before Natalie's. I sat in his chair and explained what I was looking for with my up-do. I said that I liked a little volume on top...no beehives...just not pulled tight to my scalp. I would like my hair pinned up close to the top of my head...so that you can see my hair from the front...that I don't like it in the middle or bottom of the back of my head. I thought he understood. He starts by drenching my hair with this schlack-like hairspray and scrunching it. I looked like Beetlejuice. Then puts several curls all over. Then turns my chair so I can't see the mirror. Then proceeds to rat out my entire head then starts pinning my hair back. Eight minutes later....he swings my chair around and takes off my smock. My hair. The horror. My bangs were slicked to my forehead and pulled to one side like a comb-over. The top of my hair was about 5 inches tall...all ratty...and going up and straight back. The back of my hair was a fairly tight bun of sloppy curls near the middle to back of my head...that was off center....more to the left...than the center. The sides of my hair were hairsprayed so much...and had visible comb tracks....and it wasn't tight to my head... it kinda poofed out. I was speechless. It was the worst hair-do ever....ever....like if I let my friend's 5 year old daughter play barber shop on my head. I cringed. He turned the chair and told Natalie to sit down. I excused myself to the bathroom to get a better look. I started to shake...but got it back together enough to go out and watch Natalie's up-do. Nat's hair is long...down to her butt long. He hot rolled her whole head and sent her to the dryers. I sat by her and told her that I HATE my hair. She said, "have him re-do it...it doesn't look very good." He spent the next 30 minutes doing another girl's hair...then started back up on Nat's. The time was 12:20 pm. I had to go to the grocery store for water and wedding day necessities, get ready, AND be at Hudson Garden's (a 20 minute drive) by 2:30 pm for pictures and what-not. Time was a ticking away. He wasn't close to being done with Natalie's hair...and I decided that I needed to leave. I got in my car and called Cherill. I burst into tears. I was telling her about my hair...and she kept saying...go home and wash your hair. I kept telling her (in my squeaking voice that only dogs and dolphins should be able to understand) that I didn't want to hurt Natalie's in-law's feelings...and the hair destroyer...er dresser would be at the wedding. She said over and over that I have to see those pictures for the rest of my life...and that I HAD to fix it. OK. Deep breaths. I call my mom to get her opinion. I am bawling. My mom... a very sweet and proper woman who rarely cusses says, "Emily, I don't give a SHIT if they get their feelings hurt. I don't give a SHIT. And Natalie won't care. You go home and wash your hair and do it right....you hear me?" I squeaked out an ok...and then rushed home to wash my hair. I had to wash it 3 times to get all of the hair spray out. I re-did my hair...and it looked fan-freaking-tastic. I took some selfportraits of the hair debacle...I will share those later. I was about 20 minutes late to Hudson Gardens...but it wasn't a big deal. I walked into the room and Danny said, "You changed your hair." I said, "Yes, I put my sassy dress on...and it needed my hair to be down." His mom winked at me and said, "I am glad you fixed your hair, you look beautiful." Whew. The ceremony was gorgeous. It was amazing. I hope that my husband looks at me the way that Danny was looking at Natalie. Pure love was pouring out if his eyes.
The reception looked more fantastic than I could have imagined. My mom and I picked out every detail...and it came together so wonderfully. When it came time for the speeches...my Dad went first. He and my mom had written a poem about their wishes for their lives together. My dad is an eloquent public speaker...and he had Natalie bawling. Natalie was crying so hard that she was gripping my leg and buried her head in Danny's shoulder. AND...since no one cries alone in my presence....I cried too. I should have known better than to let my dad speak before my speech. I didn't get to say everything I wanted to during my speech...and had to drop the mic to my side to take deep breaths...but I did say basically what I wanted to. Nearly everyone was tearing up. Awwwh. Several people told me that I gave a great speech. That might have just been to cover up my crying...who cares. Danny said he wanted to make a speech too...he took the mic from me and didn't look at anyone but Natalie and spoke from the heart for about 5 minutes about how much he loves her...and what an amazing woman she is. It was so wonderful. What a great night. The reception was over at 9 pm....and we then had to completely clean the party room. I got home about 11 pm....really wound up from the wedding. I couldn't get to sleep. I NEEDED to get to sleep.... because I had to be up at 5:30 am to be at our girls softball tournament by 7 am. It was a long day at the softball tournament...but worth it. I will post about that later. Too tired now. All in all the wedding was so wonderful. I am so happy for Natalie and Danny. So happy! Cheers!

No comments: