Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My voting experience

I left my office twice today...at 2 different times...to try to vote. I was armed with my vote registration card, ID and my voter cheat sheet to make my time in the voting booth limited. The first place I visited was The Webb building...uhm.... 2 1/2 hour wait at 10 am. Back to work. Then to Tattered Cover at 2 pm.... 2 hour wait. Back to work. I left work at 4 pm to hit a voting center in the hood at 28th and Glenarm at the rec center. The line was out the building. I was getting reports that it would take almost an hour. OK. Fine. I had waited 40 minutes when the line turned the corner and I could see inside the rec center....holy shit...about 200 people ahead of me and apparently the check-in computers had locked up for the 2nd time today. Sweet. I was already too far down the line to move to a new location. My choices were...suck it up and wait or go home. Of course I wasn't wearing sensible shoes. Ha. After exactly a 2-hour wait I voted. The thing that I found interesting was that when the Election Officials announced the computers were locked up and they didn't have an ETA on when they would be back up...people DIDN'T LEAVE....in fact...there wasn't even any audible bitching. I guess people really value their right to vote.

No comments: