Thursday, October 19, 2006

Get a job...ANY job

Radio is a tough business. People get fired all of the time. It's sad, but in the entertainment business...it's par for course. I am sure that if I stay in radio long enough...I too will get fired. Anyway. Back to my original point. I have watched so many radio people completely self-destruct when they get fired. They sit at home and get wickedly depressed. They look for radio gigs ONLY. Folks. I realize that you have spent the last 20 years being a deejay or a production director...but you have SKILLS other than radio....I promise. Go get a gig at Home Depot, Walmart, King Soopers...damn anywhere. Do you know how well those companies pay? And their insurance packages rock. Put some money into your household. Don't sit at home and become wickedly bitter and depressed....and broke. Apply for those radio gigs on your evenings and weekends. But GET A JOB...ANY JOB. I just don't get it. I really don't get it. I am tired of getting these horrible boo hoo for me phone calls and emails...."there aren't any radio gigs." Then when I suggest another field, there is just silence. I want to shake them..."you have kids....you have a mortgage...you have worth....go out and do something....don't just wallow in self-pity....you have been out of work for 8 months." Sheesh. I have seen it sooooo many times.

No comments: