Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Unrepented Sin

I wasn't sure how to process a conversation I had with a girl I know....so I had to post what was said....to process it a little. A little background first. This gal is 25 years old. A devote Christian. And until a few months ago...a virgin. She met a nice guy online and once they said "I love you" they started having sex. OK. Well they have been having sex for 2 months now. This past weekend they (she) decided to not have sex anymore until they are married. She said, that she feels that she is moving away from her relationship with God because of unrepented sin. She feels that because pre-marital sex is a sin that she is sinning and God will not bless her life or her relationship and in the eyes of the Church and they will be doomed as sinners. She told me that she has asked for forgiveness from God (repentance) for having sex, but that part of the deal with repentance is that you promise to not do it again. She is crushed because Sunday they promised to not have sex until they are married, but had sex last night. She is afraid that this will change her relationship with her boyfriend. She said that they should just go ahead and get married right away so they can start having sex again (wow - what a good reason to get married). She said that if unrepented sin stays on the soul, spiritual decay sets in and a Christian begins to backslide and spiritual death eventually occurs. She said that last night they sat on the couch and tried to not touch each other while watching a movie and when they did touch she felt like she was walking down the path of sin.
After she said all of this without taking a breath and all in 1 minute...I gathered myself and said. "I am sorry that you are down over all of this. I, personally, have never been able to find a religion that I 100% can wrap my arms around because I don't agree with all of the rules or whatever. I believe that sex between 2 consenting adults who LOVE each other is wonderful and shouldn't be viewed as bad. It makes me sad that you are feeling blue over this. I totally respect your church and decisions...and I hope you can find peace with whatever you decide to do. But my opinion is that you should never feel guilt because you show love thru sex with the person you love. Sorry. That is my opinion. " (said all in one breath and under a minute.)
I can't find the words to say anything more.

No comments: