Wednesday, September 14, 2005

There's just something about first loves

Last night around 11 pm I was laying in bed half awake, half asleep, and the phone rang. My land line, not my cell. I jump out of bed and run to the phone. Late night calls always make my heart stop. On the other end I hear a familiar voice yell "LOU!" I know right away that it's my high school sweetheart, Robert. My nickname in high school was Emma Lou, and Rob was the only one I allowed to call me Lou. I am in shock to hear from him and start saying, "Rob, is everything ok? Why did you call? Are you ok?" And he kept reassuring me that he just wanted to see how I was doing. Robert lives in LA now with his lovely wife and 2 boys. He is happy. Just wanted to check-in I guess. We talked about old times. Laughed. Caught up on the current things going on in our lives. It was nice. Odd. But nice. As we are getting ready to get off the phone I say, "Rob, why did you call, really?" And he said, "Ah Lou, there's just something about first loves, I needed to know you are ok." Hum. Well, I am ok, in fact, I am great.

No comments: