Monday, April 24, 2006

Take Your Daughter to Work Day

About 7 years ago I "dated" my friend Gina's brother Mike for about 2 years. When we started dating he was recently divorced and had his 2 year old daughter 50% of the time. His daughter and I were thick as thieves. When we broke up...I missed her more than my relationship. I still see her once in a while because I am still friends with Mike's sister.
Cut to last Friday. My cell phone rings. It's Mike. He was calling to invite me to play volleyball with the family for Gina's birthday AND to ask me if his daughter could come to work with me this Friday for Take Your Daughter to Work Day. When no sound was coming from my end of the phone, he started into this long explanation of how she loves radio and wants to be in radio like me. Two emotions filled my body. One. Anger! WTF? Why does he want ME to bring his daughter to work like she's my kid? Two. Ouch! I feel a pang of longing in my heart. I guess I didn't realize how much I missed that little girl. Humpf.
I am out of town Thursday-Sunday....otherwise I would have done it (I think). I told Mike that we could schedule a time to have her come in and I could give her a tour and talk to her about college and how to get into radio. I would do this for her....not Mike.

No comments: