Thursday, December 08, 2005

Chinese people don't eat in Chinese Restaurants

I went to lunch with Katie today at the Imperial Chinese restaurant and she cracked me up so hard when she said, "Ya know what? You never see Chinese people eating at a Chinese restaurant, why is that?" As we both scanned the room.... and looked back at each other... we cracked up. She was right... in this huge restaurant... not one Chinese or Asian looking person. Not one. She said that she noticed this a long time ago...and always looks at the people in the restaurant and her theory has never been proven wrong. Weird.
We pondered a couple points:
1. Is the food served in Chinese Restaurants in America.... totally different from the Chinese food served in China? Therefore, not appealing or insulting to the Chinese?
2. Or do they eat so much of that kind of food...that when they go out to eat... they don't want to eat the same stuff they eat for every meal at home?

One thing is for sure...I will always check out the folks in every Chinese restaurant... just to see if Katie's theory is always right.

She cracks me up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom says you are right on the first count... the chinese food in china ain't like the chinese food you get here...
seth and i have one place we always go... we figure if you see asian people eating there, it's good stuff.

Pantala Naga Pampa said...

That is so funny. I love to people watch...I can't believe I have never noticed the lack of chinese folk at chinese restaurants... erin...share the name of the place you and seth like to go to.