Thursday, December 08, 2005

Remembering John Lennon

Today is the 25th Anniversary of the death of John Lennon.
I vividly remember when I found out about his murder. I was 8 years old. I was staying the night at my friend Cami McDonald's house. We were downstairs in the basement and we were supposed to be sleeping. RIIIIGHT! We were up watching TV with this huge blanket covering the TV so her mom couldn't see the light from the screen. I don't remember what we were watching on TV....but the screen suddenly went black... we giggled.... then in white letters scrolling across the screen told us that John Lennon, former member of The Beatles was fatally shot in front of his New York City home. Reports confirm that Lennon is indeed dead. The police had already made an arrest. We sat there in silence. Shocked. And although we knew that we were taking a chance by telling Cami's mom that we were still up watching TV.... we knew that she would be more disappointed if we didn't come tell her about Lennon's death. She's a huge Beatles fan. So we crept upstairs. She was sleeping on the couch...the TV was still on. We gently tapped her... woke her... and told her. We sat up together the rest of the night flipping through the 4 TV stations that they had.... watching any piece of news on John Lennon's death we could find. I will never forget that. Weird that it's been 25 years.

No comments: