Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Caucus is cock-eyed?

In light of the upcoming Iowa Caucus tomorrow. I felt inclined to share this story. A guy I work with is from Iowa and was explaining the election Caucus process to me today. I am going to share his view on a caucus without my own research on validity.

OK. Apparently it takes the average voter at least 3 hours to participate. Wha? Sounds like voting in ANY election in Denver. I digress. Anyway. You show up to your voting neighborhood area and show your support for your candidate by standing in a section of the room assigned to your candidate. Sounds like a high school student council deal to me. I can picture poster board, glitter and markers "Vote for HILLARY for 2008 Prom Queen. Anyway. Everyone can see WHO you support. Much different from a voting ballot box where your pick is private. Anyway. After a while, it is determined if your candidate is "viable" for your voting area. Which means...does your candidate have enough support to be one of the top 2 candidates for that party? If yes, VIABLE. If not, no....move on...find a new candidate to support. Say for example, you are for Edwards. After showing your support for Edwards, if he is not a "viable" candidate for that area...which means he doesn't have enough support by other voters...then you will be approached by the other candidate's supporters for your support of their candidate. "Hey Joe-Voter, I know you like Edwards, however, Hillary believes this-that-and-the-other issues the same. Come join our side." Seems like a sick game of playground rules to me. Should be interesting thing to watch tomorrow. I am an avid voter...but just NOW learned more about the process. Interesting.

No comments: