Thursday, December 07, 2006

Care packages

I am working on putting together care packages for our local troops overseas. My company has given me $2,000 to buy supplies and ship them. I contacted Ft. Carson yesterday and got the list of items that the troops requested in their care packages and 6 different contacts overseas to ship the packages to. I got a lump in my throat as I read the requested items; Calling Cards, CDs, DVDs, Games, Candy, Gum, Soap, Toothpaste, Foot Powder, Fire Retardant NOMEX Gloves (Black, Green or Brown), Oakley Sunglasses to protect eyes for IED explosions, shampoo, shaving cream, razors, Magazines (muscle/fitness, sports, and cars), batteries (AA, AAA).
OK... a few of the items are leaning more towards a comfort item...but why don't our troops already HAVE sunglasses to protect their eyes from IED explosions? Or fire retardant gloves? Wha? And toothpaste, shampoo, shaving cream, razors? Come ON! Our troops need things like this. *Sigh* Anyone of my friends and family who want to donate items in the care packages...let me know.

1 comment:

Di said...

Seriously, THAT is wrong. They should have all the things they NEED. They should want fun things to keep the time passing. I agree with your sigh!