Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Don't spoon me!

I went to a thing for work called Ascertainments. Basically every TV and radio company sends 2 reps to hear different Community Leaders speak about their concerns and ways the media can help them raise money for their non-profit and what-not. The media is listening to the public for a change. Anyway. There was this one women who is highly educated and quite the society chick. She is on the Board of Directors for too many organizations to list. She was there to talk about Dental health and the challenge of the un/under insured public. She started talking about this disease called Caries Disease. She said it was a Strep mutation. Ehw. This Caries Disease is a virus and causes horrible tooth decay and Periodontal Disease later in life. The most disgusting part is how this disease is transmitted. She said that it's transmitted from the child's mother or caregiver (if they have have Caries Disease) by eating off of the kids plate or licking the kid's spoon and putting it back in the kid's mouth. EWH! She said that it is super common too. Yuck. Most kids are infected between the ages of 3 months and 24 months. I looked on line to find some research supporting her claim. I wasn't having much luck (or patience). So I CALLED the lady who spoke yesterday.... (yes, I did)...and asked her for some research and more information that I could read. She gave me a ton of names of Dentists and people at the Center for Public Health to call. I didn't call them....I know she is telling the truth. After I hung up.... part of me wanted to call her back and tell her that I don't have Caries Disease or Periodontal Disease...I am just curious....I don't have even ONE cavity. But I figured she would think that I am certifiably crazzzzzzy. If there is one lesson to learn here.... don't lick your kid's spoon. Even if the baby food is ubber delish. Ha.

No comments: