Friday, March 10, 2006

My first band interview

Today, about an hour ago, I did a phone interview (my first band interview) with Vince Clarke of Erasure. Some of Erasure's radio hits are "Oh L'amour" "Chains of Love" and "Drama". He was also the founder of YAZ and Depeche Mode. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Erasure, YAZ and Depeche Mode...so the thought of getting to chat with him on the phone was exhilarating. I did all sorts of prep work and research on him and his career. I didn't sleep a wink last night. So you're thinking.... well...how did it go? The interview went really well...he was charming...a sport when I asked him to record some liners promoting their concert.... it was great. Here's the kicker...I shook like a leaf the whole time. That's not like me. I mean...SHOOK. I listened back to the interview...and you couldn't hear it in my voice at all.... but STILL. Thank God it wasn't a face to face interview! HA! My favorite line of questions were... when I asked him about his view on American Idol and if that show was producing hit makers or hype. He said that it's not a true test of an artist unless they are performing their own work. Doing covers just shows that they can sing someone else song. I asked him if the producers of American Idol called him and asked him for permission to use one of his songs...would he let them. He said yes, that it's an honor to have someone cover your work.
Overall it was fun. I learned a lot. I am running more questions that I could have asked him over and over in my head. At least I did it. Weee!

No comments: