Friday, March 31, 2006

Sofa City Sweetheart

My sister came in town yesterday from Laramie to do some wedding stuff. I took off with her about 1:30 pm from work to hit the town. We visited a party decorations store, a flower shop, Butler Rents and then went to the dress store so she could get her wedding dress measured for alterations. She bought her dress off the rack...and it fits like a glove. The only thing the seamstress has to do is hem it. She looked gorgeous. After we finished running around...we went to our parent's house for dinner. We sat around and talked about our day and what we saw. It was fun. Then Natalie looks at me with this oddly confused face...and wanted to know what happens at a Bridal Shower. HUH? I had no idea...but she has never been to one. AND ME...I have been to what seems like hundreds.
I tell her that typically a Bridal Shower is like this:
  • It's a Brunch usually with baby quiches, hash browns, fruit, bloody marys and mimosas (but that she didn't have to do it that way).
  • She gets a ton of great gifts.
  • Everyone will want her to tell them about Danny and how they got engaged and will want to look at her ring about 20 times.
  • They will want to hear about the wedding plans.
  • That you make a bouquet out of the ribbons on the gifts for her to carry down the isle at the rehearsal.
  • That ladies (for the record....I won't) will squeal with delight when she breaks a ribbon opening gifts due to the wife's tale that every broken ribbon represents the number of babies she will have.
  • The ladies play Bridal Shower games....and then I make a comment that I would rather put something HOT and SHARP in my eye than play Bridal Shower games. Her eyes got big...and she said, "Oh yea, I don't want games at my shower, they're dumb."

My mom's face was crushed. I realized that I needed to fix this. Just because I am sick of playing Wedding Trivia or making toilet paper wedding gowns...or some other horrible game... doesn't mean that Natalie shouldn't do that. I felt really bad when I got home. So bad actually that I couldn't sleep. I finally dragged my tired ass out to the couch to sleep at 4 am...hoping that a change of environment would trick my mind into forgetting my insensitive statement...and I would fall asleep. It didn't work.

I called my mom first thing this morning and told her that I felt bad for saying that...and I don't want Natalie to miss out on part of her Bridal Shower experience because I poo poo'ed it. I called my sister a few hours later (so she could sleep in) and told her voicemail that it is her and Danny's wedding....and that I felt bad for telling her that Bridal Shower games suck so bad. She should have games. If she wanted to. She should have all of the traditional stuff....IF SHE WANTS THAT. And I told her how utterly gorgeous she looked in her wedding dress.

No comments: