Wednesday, May 03, 2006

College Reunion

This past weekend I went back to my college town for a reunion. Every year, the last weekend in April, my college has a huge HUGE event on campus....and tons of past graduates come into town. It's basically a drunk-fest every year....with activities sprinkled in. I showed up on Thursday afternoon...and it started raining about 45 minutes later. It didn't stop raining the entire time I was there. All of the fun BBQs, parties, sporting events and activities.... were either canceled or it was too crappy to go sit in the rain. Boo. I was really disappointed. I did get to hang out with my college roomie Maria, her husband Brian and Steph....but even that wasn't the same. We didn't get to TALK....really talk. Everytime we went out it was super crowded...and wet. So we spent most of our time shouting over the music and playing the part of the human-pin-balls bouncing around the crowded room. In the past my favorite part of these reunions has been sitting on a patio having cocktails and talking to my dear friends....and running into old friends. With the damn rain....no patio time....no talking....no running into old friends.
Here is one odd/funny story from the weekend. On Friday night we were at this leaky tent party. It's standing room only and I have already had 3 cheap beers spilled on me...but I was in a great mood and feeling no pain. These 2 girls walk up to me. The conversation went like this.
Girl #1: "Did you go to Drake?"
Me: "Yes, did you?"
(Girl #1 shoots a look at Girl #2)
Girl #1: "What year did you graduate?" (Notice that she didn't answer my question)
Me: "1994. Did YOU two go to Drake?"
(Girl #1 shoots a look at Girl #2)
Girl #1 says to Girl #2: "This has GOT to be her."
Girl #1 says to me: "What is your name?"
Me: "Emily. Yours?"
(Girl #1 shoots a look at Girl #2)
Girl #1 says to me: "JoAnna."
Me: "Do I know you? You seem to know me."
Girl #1 rolls her eyes at me and they both walk away. I shrug and go back to my group. Maria asked me what she wanted. I give them the play-by-play of the conversation above. Maria looks at me with big eyes and says, "You don't remember her, do you?"
Me: "Uh, no. Do you?"
Maria: "Yes, she was the girl who was in love with Josh (my college sweetheart) and tried to punch you one night at the bar."
Me: "Oh yea. That was her huh? I sure seem to have left a lasting impression on her....what a loser...that was 13 years ago." We laugh and change the subject.
The rest of the story is this... my boyfriend Josh had told me about that girl. That she used to do his laundry and seemed to show up everywhere he was. I told him that if he had some girl who would do his laundry for free...then he was a lucky guy. Not jealous at all. One night my friends and I met up with Josh and his friends at a bar. Josh was talking to that girl. I walk over and say hi. He turns and gives me a kiss and is turning back to the girl to do introductions. And that girl starts yelling at me something about how I was graduating soon and she has another year with Josh in college and that I should "loosen the leash." HUH? I remember laughing at her and giving her a you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me look. She tries to PUNCH me....a swing...and a miss. I remember laughing at her again and giving her a you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me look...again. She gets her balance and takes another swing at me.... a swing....and another miss. I put my arm up to pop HER one (and I know I wouldn't miss)...and the bouncer grabbed me and picked me up in the air....and then throws ME out of the bar. Josh and I left and went home. Seriously....that was the last time I remember ever seeing or talking to that girl until Friday. Josh started doing his own laundry...and that was that. Weird. Girls are crazy.

No comments: