Thursday, May 18, 2006

My girl's first game.

The little girls softball team that I coach softball for had their first game last night. We lost our game....19-13. That team had played together last year...and I was shocked at how big a couple of those 8 year old girls were. Big. And well...fat. Sad really. My girls played well for a first game...ever... in their lives. They all looked like deer in the headlights...and forgot some basic skills that we practiced every time at practice....like how to run thru 1st base...and not just run up to it and stop. It will just take more reps and practice. The girls all had fun...and that is what is important. In fact, we didn't even tell them the final score or talk about winning and losing. Anyway. This guy coach on the other team freaked out on me. I am the 1st base coach...and one of the girls was running back to 1st and ran into me....the other team over threw 1st...so I touched her and pushed her (softly) to run to 2nd. He freaked. I am not supposed to touch my players while I am coaching (ewh...that sounded dirty...but it's the only way to explain it). Anyway...he flipped and was ranting and raving for the rest of the inning which was at least 10 minutes. Several of the our parents include Cherill came over to me and said..."can you hear him?" Ahem...yes I can. So then...after the inning he was walking behind homeplate to come coach 1st for his team...and stopped and ranted some more to the homeplate ump.... THEN as he was walking towards me he shouted and waved his finger at me "YOU CAN'T TOUCH YOUR PLAYERS" I ignored him. THEN he starts going off on the 1st base ump...turning around and pointing at me. Sheesh. So I say to him, "You NEED to get over this. Get over it! You're acting like I slapped YOUR player. GEEZ!" He turns around and starts in on me AGAIN...and I laugh at him and say, "Turn around...and pay attention to your own team." And he did. My dad glared at me. At dinner I apologized for letting that coach get to me and acting almost as bad as he was by responding. My dad said, "Stop it.... don't say sorry...if he had been talking to ME like that...I would have asked him to meet me in the parking lot after the game." Joking that he would have kicked his ass in the parking lot. Anyway. What a jerk. But I shouldn't have let him see that he made me mad. Oh well...lesson learned....at least my girls didn't hear me yell. And I will start coaching 1st with my hands in my pockets so I don't touch the girls. Hahah!

No comments: