Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Not one thing... done... well

Last night at about 11 pm I was still at the office and seconds away from a nervous breakdown. Exhausted. Frustrated. Hungry. Cranky. Overwhelmed. The tears started streaming down my face and I was shaking. I got up from my desk, grabbed my purse and went home right that second.
Coaching softball is taking a toll on me. The time commitment for coaching is enormous. On an average week, I have to leave work by 4:45 on practice days and 3 pm on game days. We have practice twice a week and 1 or 2 games a week. Monday-Friday. Once I get to softball and see my dad and the girls...I love it...and it's worth it. But damn.
Work is always nuts for me. I work hard. Let me put it this way, at my last radio gig, I had 4 full-time people in my department that got the same job done that I do here...alone. Two weeks ago I was asked to put together a HUGE project for the station that was due in 2 days. I did it. Their plan changed. Re-do HUGE said project again in 2 days. I did it. The plan changed again. Re-do HUGE project a 3rd time. OK...you get the point. This went on and on. I got another change in the program that is due at 7:30 am tomorrow. I will be here all night.
I got so upset last night because I realized that I am not doing one thing in my life...well. The perfectionist in me got a bad realization. I may not be perfect. I am not Super Woman. I am not doing one thing well. I am often late to softball because of work (bad coach), my cat feels like an orphan (bad mom), my work is tough(bad employee), I don't have time to see my friends (bad friend), I have had to say no to a couple dates (bad dater), I haven't had time to blog (bad blogger), I have a pile of emails and tons of personal voicemails to reply to that are over a week old (bad email/phone friend), I have dishes piling up in my sink (sick)...there's more but I will spare you.
To add insult to injury, I called my mom last night and burst into tears. This morning she sent me a wonderful "you are the best and brightest kid in the world" email. I replied to her and thanked for being a fabulous and supportive mama and explained WHY I burst into tears. I said that work is tough and softball is making it tough to catch up. My dad read the email (they have a joint account) and sent me an email that said:
Emily:
I can finish the remainder of the season with Katrina and Becky. They are ready to assume more responsibility. I have really enjoyed coaching with you. Thank you for all of your help.
Love,
Dad
My heart broke. Damn. I called my dad and explained that I am not a quitter, I made a commitment to him and the girls and I plan to see this through.
Times are tough. But I am tougher.

1 comment:

kadios said...

aww .. work, along with coaching, and other things, must really be overwhelming for you. i don`t know you, but i could tell that you put your heart and soul into everything. good for you (Y). some other people (such as myself) need to learn how to do that. anyway .. take care (=