Monday, January 16, 2006

"Nobody goes on after The Killer"

For the record, I am pulling for Walk The Line tonight at the Golden Globes. I loved loved loved that movie. I worked in Oldies radio for over 5 years and every summer we produced a huge Oldies festival full of Rock 'n Roll legends. I got to meet and mingle with some of the hugest musical influences of all time. So as you can imagine, I heard and witnessed a TON of stories about these music legends. In the movie Walk the Line, the character who played Jerry Lee Lewis (aka The Killer) taunted Johnny Cash by saying "No one goes on after The Killer!" I squealed with delight when he said that, because Jerry Lee Lewis said that exact quote to us during negotiations for his appearance at one of our concerts. Jerry was the headliner....because "No one goes on after The Killer." It still gives me the chills. Jerry...in true Jerry form... was a no-show for our concert. So The Killer never went on.... I still can't hear one of his songs without thinking about how PISSED I was that day. We called his daughter Phoebe after Jerry didn't get off the plane the day of the the show. She said her this sweet southern accent, "Well there's weather in Tennessee, and daddy doesn't get on planes in weather. Stars fall out of the sky when there's weather." Hum. I guess I kinda understand his fear after how many young musicians died on planes when he was growing up. We should have demanded that he flew in the day before the show.

GO WALK THE LINE!

No comments: