Wednesday, January 04, 2006

OK OK I will tell the story one more time

Last night I went out to a going away party for a female VIP of sales who got a huge gig as a General Manager for a group of radio stations in Seattle. All of the usual suspects were there along with a few surprises.

I got to see a guy that I worked with about 11 years ago that I haven't seen in years and years named Chris. I used to have a huge crush on him. He looks like John Gruden (head coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs). Anyway it was good to see that time has been good to him...he is still HOT.

The other surprise was my first General Manager in radio, Skip. I hadn't seen him in years. He now looks like Gene Wilder (the one in the middle)....which everytime I think of that... I crack up. Well I reminded Skip that he was the one who kept me in radio. Here's the story...When I started out in radio, I was an intern (a college grad...still an intern). About 2 weeks into my internship they fired this bitch-on-wheels Promotions Director named Robin. So the Promotions Coordinator started asking me to come in more and more hours. Suddenly, I am working full-time at the radio station and as many hours at the Hoffbrau waiting tables that I could get. Let's not forget that internships are unpaid. Nice. So basically to get my foot in the door, I worked for 8 months full-time for FREE. One night around 8:30 pm as I was actually typing my resignation letter to the radio station, Skip came back in from the bars and stopped by my desk. He said, "Oh hey Emily, I have something for you, I looked for you earlier but you weren't here." "I was waiting tables," I said. I opened the envelope and there was a $400 check. He then said, "Can I buy another month from you? I will have a job for you next month." Ahem...hell and yes. I turned the computer screen to show him my resignation letter and thanked him..... telling him that he just bought another month. And true to his word we signed on a new station that I got to build. So I have always credited Skip for keeping me in radio. When I saw him last night...I told him that story again. He (after many cocktails) proceeds to ask me to come around to each table at the party and tell them the story about how he kept me in radio. OK OK I will tell the story one more time. I probably won't remind him of that story next time I see him.

No comments: