Thursday, October 27, 2005

Testimony

So after knowing this was coming for several years, I testified (finally) this morning in the Hal M. Lawsuit. It was an Arbitration - so don't picture a court room with media chomping at the bit to get a story, cameras, several bailiffs, security guards, a jury and a judge. No. Picture a fancy conference room with about 12 corporate suits from the defense, Hal, his two lawyers (in casual outfits), a voice recorder and a white haired professor looking man with a long horsey face and a sweet smile at the head of the table. The white haired man is the arbitrator. He looked like he should be teaching History 101 in a lecture hall, not officiating an arbitration. They call me in. You could cut the tension in the room with a knife. I sit down and Hal's lawyer starts asking me questions. Sweaty palms. Sweaty palms. Sit up straight. Is my neck all splotchy because I am nervous? Focus on the questions. Am I suppose to look at other people while I am talking? That is something I would do in a regular meeting... make eye contact with everyone in the room. I decide no. Puke is starting to sneak up my throat. This is all very intimidating. Keep it together Em. As Hal's lawyer is asking me questions, the defense lawyers are shuffling papers, whispering, passing notes, taking notes with notebooks protecting their coveted words. I had a flash back to grade school when kids used to put their peachy notebooks up to block their work. Now it was the defense lawyer's turn to ask me questions. She was sweet as pie UNTIL she started firing questions. Using terms like "And I quote". Her right eyebrow was frozen in the raised position. I think I must have looked calm as a cucumber....because I sensed she wasn't getting what she wanted from me....and she was frustrated. I told the truth. And the truth is.... I am glad this is over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in a few of those depositions, and I love answering every question with a veiled question. I've made many a lawyer get unglued, just for the sport of it.

Aloha,

Jeff

Pantala Naga Pampa said...

Jeff - you're funny. I can honestly find the humor in it now...but damn.... it wasn't fun this morning. Ha!